- Carbon dioxide capture and mineralization
- Resource recovery and solid waste utilization
- Sustainable process engineering
- B. Tech., IIT Roorkee, 2010
- Ph.D., Joint from IIT Bombay and Monash University, 2019
- Post-doc, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2019-2021
My research is focused on sustainable process engineering and negative emission technologies.
One of the key areas include carbon dioxide capture and mineralization using alkaline industrial
wastes such as steel slags and coal ashes. This is expected to solve twin problems of anthropogenic
CO2 emissions and upcycling solid wastes to valuable materials such as precipitated calcium carbonate
(PCC) and supplementary cementitious material (SCM) for concrete making. Primary objective is to understand
heterogeneous reactions (aqueous-solid) with complex morphology and phase assemblage through experiments and
modelling. I am also interested in process intensification studies (e.g. gas-liquid absorption).
- Naik and Rastogi Excellence in Ph.D. Thesis Award, IIT Bombay (2021)
- Finalist, Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF) Annual Innovation Award, University of Wisconsin-Madison (2020)
- Manager, Reliance Industries Limited, Jamnagar, Gujrat, India (July 2010‐Sep. 2013)
- Sr. Process Design Engineer-II, SRF Ltd., Gurugram, India (Sep. 2013‐Dec. 2013)
- Qitong Liu, Payam Hosseini, Raghavendra Ragipani, Bu Wang, Wet coating of calcite with silica nanoparticles in CO2 environment, Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, 1-12 (2023).
- Raghavendra Ragipani, Direct Air Capture and Sequestration of CO2 by Accelerated Indirect Aqueous Mineral Carbonation under Ambient Conditions, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 10, 7852 (2022).
- Raghavendra Ragipani, Sankar Bhattacharya, Akkihebbal K. Suresh, A review on steel slags valorisation via mineral carbonation, Reaction Chemistry & Engineering, 6, 1152 (2021).
- Raghavendra Ragipani, Sankar Bhattacharya, Suresh, K Akkihebbal, Understanding dissolution characteristics of steel slag for resource recovery, Waste Management, 117, 179 (2020).
- Raghavendra Ragipani, Kinetics of steel slag dissolution: from experiments to modelling, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 475, 20180830 (2019).
- Raghavendra Ragipani, Towards efficient calcium extraction from steel slag and carbon dioxide utilisation via pressure-swing mineral carbonation, Reaction Chemistry & Engineering, 4, 52 (2019).