Dr Jayathi Y Murthy
Prof. Jayathi Y. Murthy is currently the Department Chair of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin and is the Ronald and Valerie Sugar Dean at the UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science.
Prof. Murthy has experience of working both in academia and industry. She spent over ten years at Fluent Inc., a leading developer and vendor of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software. She moved to Carnegie Mellon University in 1998 as Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Since 2001, she has been a Professor in the School of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University.
Prof. Murthy did her B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from IIT Kanpur in 1979 and earned her doctorate from the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, in 1984. Her research interests are in the fields of computational heat transfer and fluid mechanics, with an emphasis on the development of unstructured, solution-adaptive finite volume methods for industrial applications.
Prof Murthy was awarded the Distinguished Alumnus Award , 2012 from IIT Kanpur and she was elected as a member of National Academy of Engineering, USA in 2020.
Achievements and Honors
- Member, National Academy of Engineering,USA, 2020
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- ASME Heat Transfer Memorial Award, 2016.
- ASME K16 Clock Award, 2012 for "outstanding and continuing contributions to the science and engineering of heat transfer in electronics".
- Recipient of the Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2012 by IIT Kanpur