Prof. Arup Kumar Raychaudhuri
Prof. Arup Kumar Raychaudhuri is an Indian condensed matter physicist, materials scientist and a Distinguished Emeritus Professor at the S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences. Known for his pioneering work on the interplay of disorder and interaction, Prof. Raychaudhuri is an elected fellow of all the three major Indian science academies viz. Indian Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Sciences, India and Indian National Science Academy as well as the Asia-Pacific Academy of Materials. He is a recipient of a number of awards such as Millennium Medal of the Indian Science Congress, ICS Gold Medal of the Materials Research Society of India and FICCI Award. The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research awarded him the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology for his contributions to physical sciences in 1994.
Prof. Raychaudhuri obtained his M.Sc from IIT Kanpur in 1975 and Ph.D from Cornell University, USA in 1980. He did his postdoctoral at the Max Planck Institute (FKF), Stuttgart as an Alexander von Humboldt Fellow from 1980-1982. He served as the Director and Distinguished Professor of S.N.Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences from 2006 to 2014. Prior to joining the Centre in 2004 as a Senior Professor , he worked as a Professor of Physics in Indian Institute Science (IISc), Bangalore from 1982 and as Director, National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi from 1997-2000.
Prof. Raychaudhuri research interests are in the fields of condensed matter physics and materials physics. This includes physics of glassy states, metal-insulator transition in oxides, physics of High Tc superconductors and colossal magnetoresistance. His research activities encompass synthesis of materials of different kinds, fabrication of nano devices and physical measurements done down to low temperatures in high magnetic fields using a variety of techniques involving electrical, magnetic and optical measurements as well as scanning probe techniques and electron microscopy.
Achievements and Honors
- Homi Jehangir Bhabha Medal, Indian National Science Academy, 2008
- J. C. Bose National Fellowship, Department of Science and Technology, 2006.
- FICCI Award in materials science and applied sciences, 2003.
- MRSI-ICSC Super Conductivity and Materials Science Annual Prize, 2002.
- Millennium Medal, The Indian Science Congress, 2000.
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy, 2001.
- MRSI Medal of the Materials Research Society of India, 1996.
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize, 1994.
- Fellow, The Indian Academy, 1993.
- N. S. Sathyamurthy Award, The Indian Physics Association, 1986.