Prof. Arvind Agarwal
Dr. Arvind Agarwal is a Distinguished University Professor and Chair of the Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at Florida International University (FIU), Miami, FL, USA. He also serves as the Director of the Advanced Materials Engineering Research Institute(AMERI). He served as Associate Dean of Research, College of Engineering and Computing at FIU from 2015-17.
Prof. Agarwal did his B.Tech and M.Tech from the Indian Institute of Technology(IIT) Kanpur in Materials and Metallurgical Engineering in 1993 and 1995 respectively and Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville in 1999. After his Ph.D., Prof. Agarwal worked in the industry as a Materials Scientist at Plasma Processes Inc., Huntsville, AL, USA, for three years, before embarking on an academic career at FIU in 2002.
Prof. Agarwal's current research interests include advanced materials processing, thermal and cold spray, surface engineering, spark plasma sintering, ultrahigh temperature ceramics, carbon nanotube (CNT), boron nitride nanotube (BNNT), and graphene reinforced composites and coatings, nanoindentation, and mechanical properties of low dimensional and biological materials.
Prof. Agarwal has extensive experience in academic and research administration. He served as Graduate Program Director of MME (2004-2008) and Associate Dean for Research for CEC (2015-2017). Since 2012, he serves as Director of Advanced Materials Engineering Research Institute (AMERI) at FIU, which has more than 25 faculty users and 50 Ph.D. students in the area of nanotechnology, materials characterization and materials processing. Currently, Prof. Agarwal serves as the Chairperson of the Mechanical and Materials Engineering department since October 2017.
Prof. Agarwal serves as the Editorial Board member of 6 international journals in the field of materials science and engineering. Prof. Agarwal has an active research collaboration with more than 12 researchers internationally (Switzerland, Germany, France, UK, India, Australia, China, Czech Republic).
Achievements and Honors
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2021.
- Defense Tech Connect Award for Top 15% Technologies (2018)
- Provost's Mentorship Award for Graduate students (March 2018).
- Nanomaterials and Energy Prize (Best Journal Paper) (2017)
- Elected Fellow of ASM International (2012).
- FIU President's Council Outstanding Professor (now renamed as World's Ahead Professor) for sustained excellence in research, teaching, and service. (2010)
- Excellence in Mentorship Award (2010)
- National Science Foundation's (NSF) prestigious CAREER award (2006)