Prof. Sameer Khandekar
Dr. Sameer Khandekar is a faculty at the Department of Mechanical Engineering at IIT Kanpur and holds Sir M. Visvesvaraya Chair Professorship. His areas of research are in the fields of Two-phase heat transfer, Heat Pipes and Thermosyphons, Energy systems.
Prof. Khandekar obtained his M.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering with specialization in Fluid-Thermal Engineering from IIT Kanpur in 2000 and he subsequently earned his doctoral degree from the University of Stuttgart, Germany in 2004. Earlier, after his undergraduate studies in Mechanical Engineering from Government Engineering College, Jabalpur (MP), he worked as a marine power plant engineer on board sea-going merchant ships for four years (1994-1998).
At present, Prof. Khandekar is an occupant of Sir M. Visvesvaraya Chair at IIT Kanpur. He is also a Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering (elected in 2019) and Fellow of Institution of Engineers (India) since 2016. He is a recipient of P. K. Kelkar Research Fellowship from IIT Kanpur in 2008, DAAD Fellowship (2011), Prof. K. N. Seetharamu Award from the Indian Society of Heat and Mass Transfer in 2010, George Grover Medal from the International Heat Pipe Committee in 2007, and Young Scientist Award (Department of Atomic Energy, Indian, 2005).
Prof. Khandekar is an Associate Editor of International Journal of Thermal Sciences and Interfacial Phenomena and Heat Transfer. He is also an executive member of the International Heat Pipe Committee and Indian Heat and Mass transfer Society. He has served as an invited faculty member at five international universities at Germany, France, Brazil, Russia and Thailand. He has over eighty-five research publications in international journals, over one hundred publications/presentations in international conferences, including 16 keynote lectures/ Invited Talks, and he holds eight patents and four books to his credit.
Prof. Khandekar has served as the Associate Dean (Innovation and Incubation) and coordinator of the SIDBI Innovational and Incubation Center, IIT Knapur from 2015-2017. He is also the President of Shiksha Sopan, a voluntary organization (registered NGO), serving the underprivileged sections of the society in and around IIT Kanpur.
Achievements and Honors
- Sir M. Visvesvaraya Chair Professorship, IITK (2021-2024)
- Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) since November 2019.
- Sir M. Visvesvaraya Chair Professorship (since May 2017)
- Fellow of Institution of Engineers (India) , 2016.
- P. K. Kelkar Research Fellowship from IIT Kanpur (October 2009 - September 2012).
- DAAD Research Fellow, Technical University of Darmstadt, May-July 2011.
- K. N. Seetharamu Young Researcher Medal, Indian Society for Heat & Mass Transfer, 2010.
- George Grover Young Scientist Medal from International Heat Pipe Committee, 2007.
- Member of the International Heat Pipe Committee since April 2007.
- Young Scientist Award by the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India, 2005.
- Doctoral dissertation grade 1 on a scale of 4 (Highest possible grade; "Summa Cum Laude").
- First position in the M. Tech. Program (batch of Thermo-fluid Sciences).
- Five university gold medals for various achievements including 1st position in the under-graduate B.E. program of Government Engineering College, Rani Durgavati Vishvavidyalaya, Jabalpur (MP) India.
- National merit scholarship for the entire undergraduate education in India.