Prof. Thirumalai Venkatesan
Prof. T. Venkatesan is currently the Director of the Center for Quantum Research and Technology (Professor of Physics and ECE) at University of Oklahoma, and Scientific affiliate at NIST Gaithersburg.
Prof. Venkatesan did his BSc.(Hons.) in Physics from IIT Kharagpur in 1969. He obtained his M.Sc. degree in Physics from IIT Kanpur in 1971 and went on to earn a Ph.D. from the Bell Labs and University of New York in 1977.
Prior to his current position, he was Director of the Nano Institute at the National University of Singapore (NUSNNI) where he was a Professor of ECE, Physics, MSE and NGS. He wore various hats at Bell Labs and Bellcore before becoming a Professor at University of Maryland. As the inventor of the pulsed laser deposition (PLD) process, he has over 800 papers and 34 patents and is globally among the top physicists (ranked at 66 in 2000) in terms of his citations (Over 51,186 with a hirsch Index of 115-Google Scholar). He has graduated over 56 PhDs, 35 Post Docs and over 35 undergraduates. He is also the founder and Chairman of Neocera, and Neocera Magma, companies specializing in PLD and magnetic field imaging systems and co-founder of Blue Wave Semiconductors. He recently helped launch two healthcare companies in Singapore, Cellivate and Breathonix. Close to 12 of the researchers (PhD students/ Postdocs) under him have become entrepreneurs starting over 25 different commercial enterprises.
Achievements and Honors
- Elected as the Fellow of National Academy of Inventors ( 2021).
- Fellow of Royal Society, UK (2021)
- Distinguished Lectureship on the Applications of Physics Award- APS (2020)
- George E. Pake Prize awarded by APS (2012)
- Outstanding alumnus award from two Indian Institute of Technologies- Kanpur (2015) and Kharagpur (2016), India.
- Fellow of the American Physical Society.
- National Academy of Inventors (USA)
- Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Bellcore award of Excellence.
- President's gold medal of the Institute of Physics, Singapore.
- Guest Professor at Tsinghua University .
- Academician of the Asia Pacific Academy of Materials.
- Fellow of the World Innovation Forum.
- Past member of the Physics Policy Committee (Washington DC)
- Board of Visitors at UMD and the Chairman.
- Forum of Industry and Applications of Physics at APS.
- IPS President's gold medal
- The University of Maryland graduate board award.