Advertisement Number: P.Rect/R&D/2023/24
Vacancy for One Post-Doc Fellow
About the project: The proposed project seeks to establish a novel technique called Dynamic Hyper-local Source Apportionment (DHSA) for real-time and portable SA. DHSA uses data from Sensor Ambient Air Quality Monitor (SAAQM), such as gas sensors, meteorological sensors and PM sensors and employs machine-learning techniques to convert SAAQM data into SA information.
About the group/team: The team has made impactful contribution at nationwide scale to address the challenges of Air Pollution and Climate Change. Under the leadership of Prof Tripathi, the team has built ground-breaking innovative approaches for indigenously built sensor-based network technologies for nation-wide urban air quality monitoring and Real Time Source Apportionment (RTSA). Recently, the group has been awarded the International Centre of Excellence on advanced pollution monitoring technologies recognized by the Office of the Principal Scientific Advisor to the Government of India. This work will be carried out as a part of this Centre. RTSA work has been done in Delhi withsupport from CPCB and is currently being carried out with support from Swiss Development Corporation in the cities of Lucknow and Pune. The group has also established sensor network in 5 cities (Jaipur, Chennai, Guwahati, Kanyakumari and Delhi) with support from Ericsson.
About the position
We are looking for One Project Post-Doc post who should be primarily in charge of data analysis, calibration, accuracy, report generation, and publishing papers.
Responsibilities: The candidate would be responsible for coordinating and running ambient air quality monitors and sensors in a mobile van. The candidate will be in-charge of the air quality monitors/high-end instruments. The candidate will also take part in analysis of large datasets evolved during such monitoring. The candidates have to be in the field sites with the mobile van whenever required.
Relevant skills & experience
- Strong background in atmospheric science, air quality research and computer science & engineering.
- Significant background in handling and processing large data sets.
- Prior fieldwork experience in air quality monitoring and in operating and maintaining air quality monitoring sensors.
- Impressive publications record in high impact air quality research journals. Knowledge of any scientific programming language.
- Knowledge on programming languages like FORTRAN, Python, MATLAB, Igor, R etc.
- Knowledge on Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence and data Science.
Compensation & benefits
He/she will get the opportunity to work in a conducive environment and can avail the hostel/family accommodation facility (according to availability) at IIT Kanpur.
As regards the medical facilities, only the OPD facility for self shall be available at the Health Centre of IIT Kanpur without any reimbursement of cost of medicines. Any outside referral shall not be reimbursed. For the purpose, a medical booklet shall be provided to you on request.
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering/Environmental Sciences/Atmospheric Sciences/Climate Sciences/Electronics and Electrical/Computer Science and Engineering or relevant field.
Duration of Appointment
- The post is purely temporary and is on contractual basis.
- The appointment for the post is up totwo years. Appointment will be initially for one year. Renewal of appointment will be subjected to the performance of the candidate.
- Salary: Rs. 60,000/65,000/70,000 per month (as per the experience)
The department reserves the right to fix suitable criteria for short listing of eligible candidates satisfying qualifications and experience. The selection will be based on interviews: online or in person. Short listed candidates will be informed with an email about the date of interview.
Interested candidates mayapply via email (to email@example.com) giving full details qualifications and experience with copies of relevant certificates by February 13, 2023.The Selection will be based on Zoom/Skype online interview. Shortlisted candidates will be informed the date of interview by email.
Dr. Sachchida N. Tripathi, Professor
Department of Civil Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology