Timeline and major milestones of the Department of Sustainable Energy Engineering
- November 7, 2020: IIT Kanpur Senate recommended the formation of the Department.
- December 7, 2020: IIT Kanpur Board of Governors approved the formation of the Department.
- December 26, 2020: Department officially formed and Prof. Ashish Garg (then Professor in the Materials Science and Engineering) was appointed as the first Head of the Department.
- July 2021: Admission of first batch of PG students.
- July 2021: Chandrakanta Kesavan Center for Energy Policy and Climate Solutions incubated in SEE through generous support from Mr. Sudhakar Kesavan (IITK Distinguished Alumnus of 1976) and his family.
- February 2022: SERB IRHPA Center named CREATE sanctioned with Prof. Raju Kumar Gupta as PI.
- April 2022: DST-ICMAP Center was inaugurated (PI: Prof. K.S. Nalwa).
- February 2023: Sustainability Cell & IGBC student chapter was formed.
Earliest faculty members
- 2021: Prof. Ashish Garg (Jan 2021) and Dr. Kanwar Singh Nalwa (Sept 2021) moved from MSE to SEE.
- December 2021: Dr. Lalit Pant and Dr. Deepika Swami.
- Jan 2022: Dr. Debopam Das, Ashoke De and Vaibhav Arghode of Aerospace Engg became joint faculty with SEE.
- March-July 2022: Dr. Laltu Chandra, Dr. Aakash Rai, Dr. Rajeev Jindal and Dr. Prabodh Bajpai joined SEE.