Dr. Somak Bhattacharyya
Dr.Somak Bhattacharyya is an Assistant Professor in Department of Electronics Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University.
Somak Bhattacharyya did his BSc. Honours in Physics from Scottish Church College, Kolkata in 2003 and obtained both Bachelor of Technology and Master of Technology from Institute of Radiophysics and Electronics, University of Calcutta in 2006 and 2008 respectively. He is the recipient of University gold medal for securing first position in M.Tech. He earned his PhD degree in 2015 from IIT Kanpur, India. He had worked in Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering at Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad for a year since December 2015.
Since 2016 December, he has been working as Assistant Professor in the Department of Electronics Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology (Banaras Hindu University), Varanasi. He has received the prestigious Young Scientist Award from International Union of Radio Sciences (URSI) three times: Electromagnetic Theory Symposium 2013 in Hiroshima, Regional Radio Science Conference 2015 in New Delhi and Asia Pacific Radio Science Conference 2016 in Seoul. Owing to his contributions in the area of radio sciences, URSI has conferred him honorary lifetime membership. His current areas of interest lie in metamaterial, metasurface, periodic structures, opto-microwave devices,etc.
Achievements and Honors
- IElected as prestigious Life Fellow Member from The Optical Society of India since 2020.
- Recipient of prestigious IEEE Senior Membership from IEEE, USA since February, 2020.
- Recipient of Lifetime Honorary Membership by International Union of Radio Sciences (URSI) effective from September, 2017.
- Recipient of Young Scientist Award in 2016 URSI Asia Pacific Radio Science Conference (URSI AP-RASC 2016) organized by International Union of Radio Sciences (URSI) during 21-25 August, 2016 in Seoul, South Korea.
- Finalist of best PhD thesis award in PhD Symposium in IEEE UPCON 2015 during 4-6 December, 2015 in IIIT Allahabad, India.
- Recipient of First Position of Young Scientist Award in Second Regional Conference on Radio Science (RCRS) 2015 organized by International Union of Radio Sciences (URSI), Indian National Science Academy (INSA) and School of Environmental Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University during 16-19 November, 2015 in New Delhi, India.
- Recipient of Young Scientist Award in International Symposium on Electromagnetic Theory (EMTS) 2013 organized by Commission B of International Union of Radio Sciences (URSI) during 20-24 May, 2013.