Prof. Bidyut Baran Chaudhuri
Prof. Bidyut Baran Chaudhuri is a senior computer scientist and the pro-vice-chancellor of Techno India University, West Bengal, India. He was the founding Head of Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Unit, established in 1994, of ISI. Prof. Chaudhuri was the Vice-President of the Society for Natural Language Technology Research (SNLTR) and has also served as an adjunct faculty to Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), where he was a Professor for about three decades. His primary research contributes to the fields of computer vision, image processing and pattern recognition. He is a pioneer of "Indian language script OCR". Prof. Chaudhuri is a Distinguished INAE Professor at Indian Statistical Institute.
Prof.Chaudhuri received his BSc (Hons.), BTech and MTech degrees from University of Calcutta, India in 1969, 1972 and 1974, respectively and PhD Degree from Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur in 1980. He did his Post-Doc work during 1981-82 from Queen's University, U.K, through Leverhulme Overseas Fellowship.
Achievements and Honors
- Elected as a Life Fellow of IEEE "for contributions to pattern recognition, especially Indian language script OCR, document processing and natural language processing".
- Fellow, International Association for Pattern Recognition (IAPR).
- Fellow,, The World Academy of Science (TWAS).
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy (INSA)
- Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE)
- Fellow, National Academy of Sciences (NASI)
- Fellow, Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering (IETE).
- Om Prakash Bhasin Award for contribution to science and technology, 2011
- National JC Bose Fellowship in 2010.