Prof. Mukul Mani Sharma
Prof. Mukul M. Sharma is a professor and holds the W. A. "Tex" Moncrief, Jr. Centennial Chair in the Hildebrand Department of Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering at the University of Texas at Austin.
Prof. Sharma did his B. Tech. from the IIT Kanpur (1980) and then earned M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees from University of Southern California in 1981 and 1985 respectively. Prof.. Sharma has been on the faculty at the University of Texas for the past 34 years and served as Chairman of the Department from 2001 to 2005.His current research interests include hydraulic fracturing, oilfield water management, formation damage and improved oil recovery. Among his many awards, Prof. Sharma is a member of the US National Academy of Engineering. He is the recipient of the 2017 John Franklin Carll Award and the 2009 Lucas Gold Medal, SPE's highest technical awards. He has also received the 2004 SPE Faculty Distinguished Achievement Award, the 2002 Lester C. Uren Award and the 1998 SPE Formation Evaluation Award. He served as an SPE Distinguished Lecturer in 2002, has served on the Editorial Boards of many journals, and taught and consulted for industries worldwide.
Beyond academia, Prof. Mukul M. Sharma has founded Austin Geotech Services, an E&P consulting company in 1996. He also co-founded Layline Petroleum in 2006 (which had very successful exit in 2013) and Navidad Energy in 2017.
Prof. Mukul M. Sharma was conferred with the Distinguished Alumnus Award , 2020 from IIT Kanpur.
Achievements and Honors
- Recipient of Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2020 by IIT Kanpur.
- Member, National Academy of Engineering, USA, 2018
- SPE John, Franklin Carll Award, 2017
- SPE Anthony F. Lucas Gold Medal, 2009
- Lester C. Uren Award, SPE, 2003
- SPE Formation Evaluation Award, 1998
- SPE Faculty Distinguished Achievement Award, 2004
- SPE Distinguished Member, 2004
- SPE Distinguished Lecturer, 2004
- Editorial Review Board, SPE Journal, 1996-2000
- Martin Marietta Excellence in Teaching Award, 1996
- Technical Editor, Society of Petroleum Engineers, 1992-95
- Halliburton Foundation, Faculty Excellence Award, 1994