Prof. S. G. Dhande
Prof. S.G. Dhande is an eminent educationist who was the director of the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur for ten years. With his academic and administrative vision, he formed the PDPM Indian Institute of Information Technology Design & Manufacturing, Jabalpur and the Indian Institute of Saddlery Technology and Export Management, Banther. He currently serves as the Chairman of Board of Governors of National Institute of Technology, Delhi and National Institute of Industrial Engineering, Mumbai.
Prof. Dhande did his B.E. in Mechanical Engineering from University of Pune in 1969 and earned his Doctoral degree from IIT Kanpur in 1975 . Prof. Dhande has worked in the field of Computer Aided Design, Rapid Prototyping, Rapid Tooling and Reverse Engineering. He developed AUTOLAY, an innovative CAD technology, for the Indian Aeronautical Development Agency, which is used by several aircraft manufacturers around the world. He has served as a member of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India and has also been a member of the Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister of India.
An innovative technologist, acclaimed academician, an eminent researcher and an able administrator, Prof. Dhande has been the recipient of numerous Awards and Fellowships throughout his illustrious career. He is a Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering, Maharashtra Academy of Sciences, Institution of Engineers and Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering. The Government of India conferred upon him the Padma Shri in 2013.
Achievements and Honors
- Padma Shri by Govt. of India, 2013.
- Fellow , The Institution of Engineers (India), 2006
- Fellow , IETE, India, 2003
- Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering, New Delhi, 2002
- Fellow, Maharashtra Academy of Sciences, 2001
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, College of Engineering, Poona University, 1997.
- 1996 – Distinguished Teacher, IIT Kanpur.
- Procter & Gamble Best Paper Award (jointly with Paul Tidwell”, Charles Reinholtz et al.), ASME Conference, 1992.
- Distinguished Instructor, Virginia Tech. 1990.
- Gold Medal Award of the Institute of Engineers (India), 1969
- Principal G.K. Ogale Memorial Prize, Poona University, 1969.
- Best Student Award, Rotary Club, Poona, 1969.