Prof. Yogendra Kumar Joshi
Dr. Y.K. Joshi is currently a Professor and the John M. McKenney and Warren D. Shiver Distinguished Chair with the George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA. He has served as the Principal Investigator for multiple Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency programs and Office of Naval Research Consortium for Resource-Secure Outposts.
He was the Site Director of the National Science Foundation Industry/University Cooperative Research Center on Energy Efficient Electronic Systems. He has held visiting faculty appointments at Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA; Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium; and Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi'an, China., Dr. Joshi is an Elected Fellow of the ASME ( American Society of Mechanical Engineers) and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Prof.Y.K. Joshi did his B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering in 1979 from IIT Kanpur. He subsequently did his MS in mechanical Engineering from the State University of New York, Buffalo in 1981 and earned his doctorate in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics from the University of Pennsylvania in 1984.
Prior to joining the Georgia Tech faculty in 2001, he held academic positions at the University of Maryland, College Park from 1993 to 2001, and at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California from 1986 to 1993. He also worked in the semiconductor assembly industry from 1984 to 1985 on process thermal model development. Professor Joshi's research involves thermal and fluid flow issues associated with electronic devices, packages and systems. He is also involved in developing internet based distance learning programs in thermal management of electronics.
Dr. Joshi holds a joint appointment at Georgia Tech between the School of Mechanical Engineering and the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Dr. Y.K. Joshi was conferred with the Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2011 from IIT Kanpur.
Achievements and Honors
- AIChE Donald Q. Kern Award , 2018.
- ASME Heat Transfer Memorial Award , 2013
- The ITherm Achievement Award , 2012
- ASME InterPack Achievement Award , 2011
- IIT Kanpur Distinguished Alumnus Award , 2011
- IEEE SemiTherm Significant Contributor Award , 2009
- IBM Faculty Award , 2008
- ASME Journal of Electronics Packaging Best Paper of the Year Award , 2008
- ASME Electronic and Photonic Packaging Division Outstanding Contribution Award in Thermal Management , 2006
- Fellow, ASME, 2000
- Inventor Recognition Award from the Semiconductor Research Corporation , 2001
- Co-recipient of the ASME Curriculum Innovation Award , 1999