- B Tech, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, 1996
- PhD, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 1999
Our research focuses on practical process engineering/design innovations utilizing the principles of material/energy integration and process intensification. We are strong proponents of the simultaneous process design philosophy encompassing conceptual process design (flowsheet synthesis), steady state economic optimization and operability analysis towards sustainable, green and operable process design. In addition research on algorithmic tools for mass and energy integration, we also focus on systematic economic plantwide control system design towards squeezing out the maximum economic benefit (e.g. maximum throughput or minimum energy per kg product) from a plant without compromising safety and stability. The research applies process systems engineering tools (bifurcation analysis, control structure configuration design, design-controllability interaction etc.) to a wide variety of processes.
In the process intensification area, our current focus is on the application of HiGee for replacing bulky trickle bed reactor/distillation/absorption units with equivalent small-size HiGee units. Research is also underway on fixed bed and simulated moving bed pressure swing adsorption for the sharp separation of gas mixtures. All of our research has a strong industrial focus with significant collaborations.
Recent Selected Publications
- P. Kumari, Rahul Jagtap, and Nitin Kaistha, "Control system design for energy efficient on-target product purity operation of a high purity Petlyuk column", Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 53, 16436, (2014).
- Rahul Jagtap, Nitin Kaistha, and Sigurd Skogestad, "Economic Plantwide Control Over a Wide throughput Range: A Systematic Design Procedure", AIChE Journal, 59 , 2407, (2013).
- R. S. Thakur, Nitin Kaistha, and D.P. Rao, "Process Intensification in Duplex Pressure Swing Adsorption", Computers and Chemical Engineering, 35, 973, (2011).
- L. Agarwal, V. Pavani, D. P. Rao, and Nitin Kaistha, "Process Intensification in HiGee Absorption and Distillation: Design Procedure and Applications", Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 49 ,10046, (2010).
- M.V. Pavan Kumar and Nitin Kaistha, "Role of multiplicity in reactive distillation control system design" Journal of Process Control, 18 , 692, (2008).