Prof. Debashish Chowdhury
Dr. Debashish Chowdhury is a theoretical physicist. He works on a wide variety of topics in Statistical and Biological Physics.
After getting his doctoral degree from IIT, Kanpur in 1984 for his thesis on "Spin Glass Transition", he carried out postdoctoral research as an Alexander von Humboldt Fellow in Cologne, Germany and, then, as a Senior Research Associate in Philadelphia, U.S.A. He was an Assistant Professor in the School of Physical Sciences of Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, (1987 - 1992) and an Associate Professor in the Physics Department of IIT, Kanpur, (1993 - 1997). Dr. Chowdhury became a full Professor in May, 1997. He is an elected Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi, Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, and the National Academy of Sciences India, Allahabad.
Achievements and Honors
- Distinguished Teacher Award, IIT Kanpur, 2020
- JSPS Invitational Fellowship (Visiting Professor), University of Tokyo, Japan, 2018.
- Prof. S. Sampath Chair Professor, IIT Kanpur, 2015 - 2018
- National JC Bose Fellowship, SERB/DST, India, 2013
- Dr. Jag Mohan Garg Chair Professor, IIT Kanpur, 2011 - 2014
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi, 2011
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, 2004
- INSA Young Scientist Medal, Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi, 1989.
- Fellow, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany, 1984-85, 1991