Prof. Sirshendu De
Prof. Sirshendu De is an Indian engineering scientist. He is a professor of the Department of Chemical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology in Kharagpur. Prof. Sirshendu De's research areas are in the fields of membrane separations, transport processes and flow through micro-channels.
Prof. Sirshendu De did his Bachelors, Masters and PhD degrees in Chemical Engineering at the IIT Kanpur in 1990, 1993 and 1997 respectively. He later joined Indian Institute of Technology in Kharagpur in 1998. His most important invention being the low cost arsenic filter, whereby he designed an ultra low cost arsenic filter directed for the rural households of India. He is also the developer of an indigenous, low cost process for spinning dialysis membrane. He has won National Award for Technology Innovation in category of polymers in public healthcare as well as being adjudged in Top 10 of DST-Lockheed Martin award for IC2 Business Development Support for this technology. Presently he is the INAE Chair Professor of Chemical Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology in Kharagpur.
Achievements and Honors
- Institute Chair Professor Award for three years, IIT Kharagpur, 2020.
- K N Khosla National Award from IIT Roorkee, 2019.
- INAE Chair-Professor 2015-2017 from Indian National Academy of Engineering, New
- Silver Jubilee Young Engineer Award, Indian National Academy of Engineering, New Delhi, 2012.
- Department of Atomic Energy- SRC Outstanding Investigator Award, 2012.
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize, 2011.
- Herdilia Award, 2010.
- Sisir Kumar Mitra Memorial Award, 2003.
- INAE Young Engineer Award, 2001.
- Amar Dye Chem Award, 2000.